- •We explored 4362 Parkinson's disease patients enrolled in a clinical registry.
- •Standardized mortality ratio for suicide was 1.99, out of 29 suicide observed.
- •Retrospective case-control study was conducted to identify correlates of suicide.
- •Depression, delusion and higher L-dopa dosage were associated with suicide.
- •We suggest that suicide risk in PD is higher than that of the general population.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2003; 348: 1356-1364
- Survival study of Parkinson disease in olmsted county, Minnesota.Arch. Neurol. 2003; 60: 91-96
- The sydney multicentre study of Parkinson's disease: progression and mortality at 10 years.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1999; 67: 300-307
- Parkinson's disease and anxiety: comorbidity with depression.Biol. Psychiatry. 1993; 34: 465-470
- Prevalence, clinical manifestations, etiology, and treatment of depression in Parkinson's disease.J. Neuropsychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 2001; 13: 187-196
- Range of neuropsychiatric disturbances in patients with Parkinson's disease.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1999; 67: 492-496
- Effect of psychiatric and other nonmotor symptoms on disability in Parkinson's disease.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2004; 52: 784-788
- Medical illness and the risk of suicide in the elderly.Arch. Intern. Med. 2004; 164: 1179-1184
- Chapter 50 pain in Parkinson's disease.Handb. Clin. Neurol. 2006; 81: 747-760
- Pain in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 1986; 1: 45-49
- Suicidality in chronic pain: a review of the prevalence, risk factors and psychological links.Psychol. Med. 2006; 36: 575-586
- Depression and Parkinson's disease: a review.Am. J. Psychiatry. 1992; 149: 443-454
- Suicide and suicidal ideation in Parkinson's disease.J. Neurol. Sci. 2010; 289: 40-43
- Suicide in patients with Parkinson's disease. An epidemiological study, Acta Psychiatr.Scand. 1994; 90: 70-72
- Are patients with Parkinson's disease suicidal?.J. Geriatr. Psychiatry Neurol. 2001; 14: 120-124
- Criteria for diagnosing Parkinson's disease.Ann. Neurol. 1992; 32: S125-S127
- Computerized matching of cases to controls.Mayo Found. Tech. Rep. 1995; 56
- Systematic review of levodopa dose equivalency reporting in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2010; 25: 2649-2653
- Anual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics.2014
- Serotonin in Parkinson's disease.Behav. Brain Res. 2015; 277: 136-145
- Mortality in Parkinson's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mov. Disord. 2014; 29: 1615-1622
- Suicidal and death ideation in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2008; 23: 1573-1579
- Prognosis of Parkinson's disease: time to stage III, IV, V, and to motor fluctuations.Mov. Disord. 2006; 21: 1384-1395
- Identifying prodromal Parkinson's disease: pre-motor disorders in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2012; 27: 617-626
- What predicts mortality in Parkinson disease?: a prospective population-based long-term study.Neurology. 2010; 75: 1270-1276
- Psychosis: impact on the patient and family.Neurology. 1999; 52: S14-S16
- Suicidal behavior in schizophrenia: characteristics of individuals who had and had not attempted suicide, Am.J. Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 1276-1278
- Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans and attempts.Br. J. Psychiatry. 2008; 192: 98-105
- Behavioral effects of levodopa.Mov. Disord. 2015; 30: 90-102
- The impact of depressive symptoms in early Parkinson disease,.Neurology. 2007; 69: 342-347