- •A large cohort of PD and controls were assessed using PET and diffusion imaging.
- •PD patients had increased nigral free-water than age-matched elderly controls.
- •Nigral free-water inversely correlates with striatal dopaminergic dysfunction.
- •Increased nigral free-water associates with motor and cognitive deficits in PD.
- •Specific striatal dopaminergic patterns relate to motor and cognitive deficits in PD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The prevalence of Parkinson's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mov. Disord.: Official J. Mov. Disord. Soc. 2014; 29: 1583-1590
- Parkinson's disease.Lancet (London, England). 2015; 386: 896-912
- Progression marker of Parkinson's disease: a 4-year multi-site imaging study.Brain: J. Neurol. 2017; 140: 2183-2192
- Free water elimination and mapping from diffusion MRI.Magn. Reson. Med. 2009; 62: 717-730
- Quantification of increased cellularity during inflammatory demyelination.Brain: J. Neurol. 2011; 134: 3590-3601
- Increased free water in the substantia nigra of Parkinson's disease: a single-site and multi-site study.Neurobiol. Aging. 2015; 36: 1097-1104
- Longitudinal changes in free-water within the substantia nigra of Parkinson's disease.Brain : J. Neurol. 2015/05/20; : 2322-2331
- Correlation of dopaminergic terminal dysfunction and microstructural abnormalities of the basal ganglia and the olfactory tract in Parkinson's disease.Brain : J. Neurol. 2013; 136: 3028-3037
- Diffusion imaging of nigral alterations in early Parkinson's disease with dopaminergic deficits.Mov. Disord.: Official J. Mov. Disord. Soc. 2015; 30: 1885-1892
- Fractional anisotropy and mean diffusion as measures of dopaminergic function in Parkinson's disease: challenging results.J. Parkinson's Dis. 2017; 7: 129-142
- Substantia nigra fractional anisotropy is not a diagnostic biomarker of Parkinson's disease: a diagnostic performance study and meta-analysis.Eur. Radiol. 2017; 27: 2640-2648
- Diffusion tensor imaging of nigral degeneration in Parkinson's disease: a region-of-interest and voxel-based study at 3 T and systematic review with meta-analysis.NeuroImage Clin. 2013; 3: 481-488
- In vivo positron emission tomographic evidence for compensatory changes in presynaptic dopaminergic nerve terminals in Parkinson's disease.Ann. Neurol. 2000; 47: 493-503
- The role of radiotracer imaging in Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2005; 64: 208-215
- Dopamine transporter relation to dopamine turnover in Parkinson's disease: a positron emission tomography study.Ann. Neurol. 2007; 62: 468-474
- The vesicular monoamine transporter is not regulated by dopaminergic drug treatments.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 1995; 294: 577-583
- Disease duration and the integrity of the nigrostriatal system in Parkinson's disease.Brain : J. Neurol. 2013; 136: 2419-2431
- What features improve the accuracy of clinical diagnosis in Parkinson's disease: a clinicopathologic study.Neurology. 1992; 42: 1142-1146
- How to identify tremor dominant and postural instability/gait difficulty groups with the movement disorder society unified Parkinson's disease rating scale: comparison with the unified Parkinson's disease rating scale.Mov. Disord.: Official J. Mov. Disord. Soc. 2013; 28: 668-670
- The pattern of striatal dopaminergic denervation explains sensorimotor synchronization accuracy in Parkinson's disease.Behav. Brain Res. 2013; 257: 100-110
- Free-water imaging in Parkinson's disease and atypical parkinsonism.Brain : J. Neurol. 2016; 139: 495-508
- Age-specific progression of nigrostriatal dysfunction in Parkinson's disease.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69: 803-810
- Neuroimaging biomarkers for Parkinson disease: facts and fantasy.Ann. Neurol. 2014; 76: 769-783
- Correlation of Parkinson's disease severity and duration with 123I-FP-CIT SPECT striatal uptake.Mov. Disord.: Official J. Mov. Disord. Soc. 2000; 15: 692-698
- Patterns of grey matter loss associated with motor subscores in early Parkinson's disease.NeuroImage Clin. 2018; 17: 498-504
- The cerebral basis of Parkinsonian tremor: a network perspective.Mov. Disord.: Official J. Mov. Disord. Soc. 2018; 33: 219-231
- Motor associations of iron accumulation in deep grey matter nuclei in Parkinson's disease: a cross-sectional study of iron-related magnetic resonance imaging susceptibility.Eur. J. Neurol. 2017; 24: 357-365
- Impaired cognitive performance in Parkinson's disease is related to caudate dopaminergic hypofunction and hippocampal atrophy.Park. Relat. Disord. 2009; 15: 88-93
- Caudate nucleus: influence of dopaminergic input on sequence learning and brain activation in Parkinsonism.Neuroimage. 2004; 21: 1497-1507
- The thalamostriatal system in normal and diseased states.Front. Syst. Neurosci. 2014; 8: 5