- •Suicidal ideation is increased in Parkinson's disease.
- •Suicidal ideation has a multi-factorial origin in Parkinson's disease.
- •Perceived disability plays has a key role in parkinsonian suicidal ideation.
Suicidal ideation is increased in Parkinson's disease (PD) patients. The possible relationship between parkinsonian motor and non-motor symptoms and suicidal ideation in PD is unknown. The aim of the study was to evaluate suicidal ideation in patients with PD in a controlled study specifically designed to identify the clinical correlates of PD suicidal ideation.
We consecutively enrolled 100 patients with PD, 76 patients with psoriasis and 80 healthy subjects. Motor symptoms and complications were evaluated by using the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society-Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale. Non-motor symptoms were evaluated by means of the Non-Motor Symptoms assessment scale for PD. All patients also underwent a psychiatric evaluation that included the administration of the Columbia-Suicide Severity Rating Scale.
Suicidal ideation was present in 31% of PD patients, 16% of patients with psoriasis and 2% of healthy controls. PD patients showing suicidal ideation have more frequent motor complications, more severe non-motor symptoms and a higher perceived disability than patients without suicidal ideation. Suicidal ideation correlated with the presence of motor complications as well as with non-motor symptom severity, perceived disability severity and the presence of psychiatric disorders.
Our findings showed that suicidal ideation is increased in PD patients compared with healthy controls and patients with psoriasis and that several clinical PD features, including motor complications and non-motor symptoms, are associated with suicidal ideation in PD. The results suggest a multi-factorial origin of PD suicidal ideation.
Abbreviations:C-SSRS (Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale), FAB (Frontal Assessment Battery), H&Y (Hoehn and Yahr scale), IDPS (Italian Perceived Disability Scale), LEDDs (levodopa-equivalent daily dose), MoCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment), MDS (UPDRS), Movement Disorder Society-sponsored revision of the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (NMSS), Non-Motor Symptoms assessment scale for Parkinson's disease (PD:Parkinson's disease)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Parkinsonism & Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Suicidal and death ideation in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2008; 23: 1573-1579
- Suicidal ideation in Parkinson's disease.CNS Spectr. 2009; 14: 431-436
- Increased suicide risk and clinical correlates of suicide among patients with Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2016; 32: 102-107
- Non-motor features of Parkinson disease.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2017; 18: 435-450
- Cerebral causes and consequences of parkinsonian resting tremor: a tale of two circuits?.Brain. 2012; 135: 3206-3226
- National Institute for clinical excellence, non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease: diagnosis and management.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 235-245
- Suicide and suicidal ideation in Parkinson's disease.J. Neurol. Sci. 2010; 289: 40-43
- The association between physical illness/medical conditions and suicide risk.in: The International Handbook of Suicide Prevention. Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester2016: 133-148
- EFNS/MDS-ES/ENS recommendations for the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.Eur. J. Neurol. 2013; 20: 16-34
- MDS clinical diagnostic criteria for Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2015; 30: 1591-1601
- Members of the MDS Rating Scales Review Committee, Global scales for cognitive screening in Parkinson's disease: Critique and recommendations.Mov. Disord. 2018; 33: 208-218
- The frontal assessment battery as a tool for evaluation of frontal lobe dysfunction in patients with Parkinson disease.J. Geriatr. Psychiatry Neurol. 2012; 25: 71-77
- Validity of the MoCA and MMSE in the detection of MCI and dementia in Parkinson.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1738-1745
- Sensitivity and specificity of addenbrooke's cognitive examination, mattis dementia rating scale, frontal assessment battery and mini mental state examination for diagnosing dementia in Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2012; 18: 553-556
- Parkinsonism: onset, progression and mortality.Neurology. 1967; 17: 427-442
- MDS-UPDRS Italian validation study group, validation of the Italian version of the movement disorder society – unified Parkinson's disease rating scale.Neurol. Sci. 2013; 34: 683-687
- How to identify tremor dominant and postural instability/gait difficulty groups with the movement disorder society unified Parkinson's disease rating scale: comparison with the unified Parkinson's disease rating scale.Mov. Disord. 2013; 28: 668-670
- The metric properties of a novel non-motor symptoms scale for Parkinson's disease: results from an international pilot study.Mov. Disord. 2007; 15: 1901-1911
- The Columbia–Suicide Severity Rating Scale: initial validity and internal consistency findings from three multisite studies with adolescents and adults.Am. J. Psychiatry. 2011; 168: 1266-1277
- The validation of the Italian Perceived Disability Scale (IPDS) in chronic daily headache sufferers.J. Headache Pain. 2009; 10: 21-26
- Suicide in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. Clin. Pract. 2018; 5: 177-182
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J. Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Comprehensive Textbook of Suicidology.Guilford Press, New York2000
- Medical illness and suicide.in: Blumenthal S.J. Kupfer D.J. Suicide over the Life Cycle: Risk Factors, Assessment, and Treatment of Suicidal Patients. 1991: 205-232 (Washington)
- Suicidal feelings in the general population: a prevalence study.Br. J. Psychiatry. 1974; 124: 460-469
- Common myths in the use of levodopa in Parkinson disease. When clinical trials misinform clinical practice.JAMA Neurol. 2017; 74: 633-634
- Clinical criteria for subtyping Parkinson's disease: biomarkers and longitudinal progression.Brain. 2017; 140: 1959-1976
- Risk factors for suicide in later life.Soc. Biol. Psychiatry. 2002; 52: 193-204
- Depression and disability in Parkinson's disease: a follow-up of 132 cases.Psychol. Med. 1988; 18: 49-55
- Overattachment and perceived disability in chronic migraineurs.Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 2013; 115: 954-958
- The communication of suicidal intentions: a meta-analysis.Psychol. Med. 2016; 46: 2239-2253
- Medical illness and the risk of suicide in the elderly.Arch. Intern. Med. 2004; 164: 1179-1184
Published online: March 03, 2019
Accepted: February 27, 2019
Received in revised form: February 26, 2019
Received: August 19, 2018
© 2019 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.