- •Psychosis can develop in patients with Parkinson disease (PD).
- •Over a mean follow-up of 1.8 years, risk of death increased 34% with psychosis.
- •Psychosis patients had a >330% increased risk of need for custodial care (CC).
- •Women had a >20% lower risk of death, but a higher risk of CC, than men.
- •Healthcare costs were roughly double for PD patients who developed psychosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 310 diseases and injuries, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1545-1602
- A 12-year population-based study of psychosis in Parkinson disease.Arch. Neurol. 2010; 67: 996-1001
- Parkinson's disease psychosis: presentation, diagnosis and management.Neurodegener. Dis. Manag. 2017; 7: 365-376
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled, unforced titration parallel trial of quetiapine for dopaminergic-induced hallucinations in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2005; 20: 958-963
- Effect of quetiapine in psychotic Parkinson's disease patients: a double-blind labeled study of 3 months' duration.Mov. Disord. 2007; 22: 313-318
- A randomized controlled trial of quetiapine for psychosis in Parkinson's disease.Neuropsychiatric Dis. Treat. 2009; 5: 327-332
- Progress regarding Parkinson's disease psychosis: it's no illusion.Mov. Disord. Clin. Pract. 2016; 3: 431-434
- Parkinson disease psychosis: update.Behav. Neurol. 2013; 27: 469-477
- International Population Reports, P95/16-1, an Aging World.([Internet]) U.S. Government Publishing Office, Washington, DC2015 (2016. Available from)https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2016/demo/p95-16-1.pdfDate accessed: July 17, 2019
- The current and projected economic burden of Parkinson's disease in the United States.Mov. Disord. 2013; 28: 311-318
- Use of the Medicare database in epidemiologic and health services research: a valuable source of real-world evidence on the older and disabled populations in the US.Clin. Epidemiol. 2017; 9: 267-277
- Prevalence of Parkinson's disease-induced psychosis in a large U.S. managed care population.J. Neuropsychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 2010; 22: 105-110
- Direct costs and survival of medicare beneficiaries with early and advanced Parkinson's disease.Park. Relat. Disord. 2012; 18: 321-326
- Comparison of methods to identify long term care nursing home residence with administrative data.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2017; 17 (2017): 376
- Validation of a method for identifying nursing home admissions using administrative claims.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2007; 7: 202
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 676-682
- Impact of dementia on payments for long-term and acute care in an elderly cohort.Med. Care. 2013; 51: 575-581
- Treating hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease psychosis.Curr. Psychiatr. Rep. 2018; 20: 3
- Pharmacological interventions for psychosis in Parkinson's disease patients.Expert Opin. Pharmacother. 2018; 19: 499-505