Multiple system atrophy (MSA) is a highly debilitating neurodegenerative disease with few therapeutic options. It is considered an atypical parkinsonism since roughly half of cases feature predominant parkinsonism (the so-called parkinsonian variant or MSA-p as opposed to the cerebellar variant or MSA-c). These patients do not respond well to levodopa or dopamine agonists and other treatments are limited. Non-pharmacological treatments are recommended for management of parkinsonian and cerebellar symptoms, as well as for postural hypotension [
- Perez-Lloret S.
- Flabeau O.
- Fernagut P.-O.
- Pavy-Le Traon A.
- Rey M.V.
- Foubert-Samier A.
- Tison F.
- Rascol O.
- Meissner W.G.
Current concepts in the treatment of multiple system Atrophy.
Mov. Disord. Clin. Pract. 2015; 2: 6-16https://doi.org/10.1002/mdc3.12145
]; however evidence is scarce on the actual benefits these treatments may have. These non-pharmacological treatments include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, balance exercises, speech therapy and dietary recommendations for postural hypotension and dysphagia for example.
- Giagkou N.
- Stamelou M.
Therapeutic management of the overlapping syndromes of atypical parkinsonism.
CNS Drugs. 2018; 32: 827-837https://doi.org/10.1007/s40263-018-0551-3
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Parkinsonism & Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Current concepts in the treatment of multiple system Atrophy.Mov. Disord. Clin. Pract. 2015; 2: 6-16https://doi.org/10.1002/mdc3.12145
- Therapeutic management of the overlapping syndromes of atypical parkinsonism.CNS Drugs. 2018; 32: 827-837https://doi.org/10.1007/s40263-018-0551-3
- The effectiveness of exercise interventions for people with Parkinson's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mov. Disord. 2008; 23: 631-640https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.21922
- Long-term effects of exercise and physical therapy in people with Parkinson disease.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2017; 13: 689-703https://doi.org/10.1038/nrneurol.2017.128
- Speech treatment in Parkinson's disease: randomized controlled trial (RCT).Mov. Disord. 2018; 33: 1777-1791https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.27460
- Potential benefit of singing for people with Parkinson's disease: a systematic review.J. Parkinson's Dis. 2016; 6: 473-484https://doi.org/10.3233/JPD-160837
- Effects of dance practice on functional mobility, motor symptoms and quality of life in people with Parkinson's disease: a systematic review with meta-analysis.Aging Clin. Exp. Res. 2018; 30: 727-735https://doi.org/10.1007/s40520-017-0836-2
- Case report: tai chi and parkinsonism.Physiother. Res. Int. 2005; 10 (accessed October 14, 2019): 116-121
- The impact of resistance training on balance and functional ability of a patient with multiple system atrophy.J. Geriatr. Phys. Ther. 2008; 31 (accessed October 14, 2019): 79-83
- Challenge-oriented gait and balance training in sporadic olivopontocerebellar atrophy: a case study.J. Neurol. Phys. Ther. 2009; 33: 160-168https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e3181b511f4
- Feedback Facility−Assisted balance training in a patient with multiple system Atrophy: a case presentation.PM&R. 2018; 10: 555-559https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2017.09.007
- Occupational therapy in multiple system atrophy: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Mov. Disord. 2004; 19: 1360-1364https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.20211
- Physiotherapy improves motor function in patients with the Parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy: a prospective trial.Park. Relat. Disord. 2019; 67: 60-65https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2019.09.026
- Exercise-induced hypotension in autonomic disorders.Auton. Neurosci. Basic Clin. 2012; 171: 66-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2012.07.008
- Members of the EduPark consortium, an innovative education programme for people with Parkinson's disease and their carers.Park. Relat. Disord. 2006; 12: 478-485https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2006.05.003
- Efficacy of multidisciplinary treatment program on long-term outcomes of individuals with Parkinson's disease.J. Rehabil. Res. Dev. 2005; 42: 779-786https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2005.03.0054
Published online: October 25, 2019
Accepted: October 24, 2019
Received: October 24, 2019
☆(Editorial comment on “Physiotherapy improves motor function in patients with the Parkinson variant of Multiple System Atrophy: a prospective trial” PARKRELDIS-D-19-00719R1).
© 2019 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.