- •Current male smokers tended to have a lower risk of PD than current female smokers at equal smoking intensity and duration.
- •At equal alcohol intakes, PD risk tended to be lower in female drinkers than in male drinkers.
- •A superadditive interaction between smoking and alcohol was found in current male smokers and female ex-smokers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Parkinson's disease.Lancet. 2015; 386: 896-912
- The epidemiology of Parkinson's disease: risk factors and prevention.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 1257-1272
- Association between cigarette smoking and Parkinson's disease: a meta-analysis.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2015; 61: 510-516
- Alcohol intake and risk of Parkinson's disease: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Mov. Disord. 2014; 29: 819-822
- The combined effect of smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol on cause-specific mortality: a 30 year cohort study.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 789
- Neurochemical and behavioral studies on ethanol and nicotine interactions.Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 2004; 27: 713-720
- Data analytic process of a nationwide population-based study using national health information database established by national health insurance Service.Diabetes Metab. J. 2016; 40: 79-82
- Data resource profile: the national health information database of the national health insurance Service in South Korea.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 799-800
- The relationship between drinking alcohol and esophageal, gastric or colorectal cancer: a nationwide population-based cohort study of South Korea.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0185778
- Region-based analysis of prevalence and incidence of Parkinson's disease: analysis of the national sample cohort in South Korea.J. Clin. Neurol. 2018; 14: 478-486
- Estimating measures of interaction on an additive scale for preventive exposures.Eur. J. Epidemiol. 2011; 26: 433-438
- Coffee consumption, smoking, and Parkinson's disease? The beneficial role of hydrogen sulfide.Mov. Disord. 2016; 31: 429
- Prospective study of plasma urate and risk of Parkinson disease in men and women.Neurology. 2016; 86: 520-526
- Nicotine and Parkinson's disease: implications for therapy.Mov. Disord. 2008; 23: 1641-1652
- Sex differences in availability of β2*-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in recently abstinent tobacco smokers.Arch. Gen. Psychiatr. 2012; 69: 418-427
- Reproductive factors, exogenous estrogen use, and risk of Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2009; 24: 1359-1365
- The ocular benefits of estrogen replacement therapy: a population-based study in postmenopausal Korean women.PLoS One. 2014; 9e106473
- Smoking duration, intensity, and risk of Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2010; 74: 878-884
- Temporal relationship between cigarette smoking and risk of Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2007; 68: 764-768
- High blood alcohol levels in women. The role of decreased gastric alcohol dehydrogenase activity and first-pass metabolism.N. Engl. J. Med. 1990; 322: 95-99
- Beer, liquor, and wine consumption and serum uric acid level: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 51: 1023-1029
- Serum urate and its relationship with alcoholic beverage intake in men and women: findings from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) cohort.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2010; 69: 1965-1970
- Trends and correlates of high-risk alcohol consumption and types of alcoholic beverages in middle-aged Korean adults: results from the HEXA-G Study.J. Epidemiol. 2019; 5: 125-132
- Recent advances in nicotinic receptor signaling in alcohol abuse and alcoholism.Prog. Mol. Biol. Transl. Sci. 2016; 137: 183-201
- Alcohol-induced increases in smoking behavior for nicotinized and denicotinized cigarettes in men and women.Psychopharmacology. 2009; 207: 107-117
- Consequences of smoking for body weight, body fat distribution, and insulin resistance.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2008; 87: 801-809
- High plasma uric acid concentration: causes and consequences.Diabetol. Metab. Syndrome. 2012; 4: 12
- Decreased beta-adrenergic receptor density and catecholamine response in male cigarette smokers. A study of monozygotic twin pairs discordant for smoking.Circulation. 1988; 78: 1234-1240
- Exposure to cigarette smoke downregulates β2-adrenergic receptor expression and upregulates inflammation in alveolar macrophages.Inhal. Toxicol. 2015; 27: 488-494
- β2-Adrenoreceptor is a regulator of the α-synuclein gene driving risk of Parkinson's disease.Science. 2017; 357: 891-898
- Coffee drinking and associated factors in an elderly population in Spain.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2018; 15: 1661