- •Rat PFFs produce little to no pathology in regions other than the substantia nigra.
- •Mouse PFFs produce significantly more nigral pathology than rat PFFs in a rat model.
- •Alpha-synuclein amino acid sequence impacts efficient inclusion seeding.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The nigrostriatal system in Parkinson's disease.Adv. Neurol. 1990; 53: 17-29
- Pathology and biology of the Lewy body.J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 1993; 52: 183-191
- Alpha-synuclein in lewy bodies.Nature. 1997; 388: 839-840
- How can rAAV-alpha-synuclein and the fibril alpha-synuclein models advance our understanding of Parkinson's disease?.J. Neurochem. 2016; 139: 131-155
- Quality over quantity: advantages of using alpha-synuclein preformed fibril triggered synucleinopathy to model idiopathic Parkinson's disease.Front. Neurosci. 2018; 12: 621
- Limitations of animal models of Parkinson's disease.Parkinson's Dis. 2010; (2011): 658083
- Corrigendum: commentary: evaluation of models of Parkinson's disease.Front. Neurosci. 2016; 10: 320
- Established patterns of animal study design undermine translation of disease-modifying therapies for Parkinson's disease.PloS one. 2017; 12e0171790
- Exogenous alpha-synuclein fibrils induce Lewy body pathology leading to synaptic dysfunction and neuron death.Neuron. 2011; 72: 57-71
- Pathological alpha-synuclein transmission initiates Parkinson-like neurodegeneration in nontransgenic mice.Science. 2012; 338: 949-953
- Addition of exogenous alpha-synuclein preformed fibrils to primary neuronal cultures to seed recruitment of endogenous alpha-synuclein to Lewy body and Lewy neurite-like aggregates.Nat. Protoc. 2014; 9: 2135-2146
- Progressive aggregation of alpha-synuclein and selective degeneration of lewy inclusion-bearing neurons in a mouse model of parkinsonism.Cell Rep. 2015; 10: 1252-1260
- Intrastriatal injection of pre-formed mouse alpha-synuclein fibrils into rats triggers alpha-synuclein pathology and bilateral nigrostriatal degeneration.Neurobiol. Dis. 2015; 82: 185-199
- Lewy body-like alpha-synuclein inclusions trigger reactive microgliosis prior to nigral degeneration.J. Neuroinflammation. 2018; 15: 129
- Time course and magnitude of alpha-synuclein inclusion formation and nigrostriatal degeneration in the rat model of synucleinopathy triggered by intrastriatal alpha-synuclein preformed fibrils.Neurobiol. Dis. 2019; 130: 104525
- Generation of alpha-synuclein preformed fibrils from monomers and use in vivo.JoVE. 2019;
- Differential innervation of direct- and indirect-pathway striatal projection neurons.Neuron. 2013; 79: 347-360
- Molecular and biological compatibility with host alpha-synuclein influences fibril pathogenicity.Cell Rep. 2016; 16: 3373-3387
- alpha-Synuclein fibril-induced inclusion spread in rats and mice correlates with dopaminergic Neurodegeneration.Neurobiol. Dis. 2017; 105: 84-98
- Propagation of pathological alpha-synuclein in marmoset brain.Acta neuropathologica communications. 2017; 5: 12
- Intrastriatal alpha-synuclein fibrils in monkeys: spreading, imaging and neuropathological changes.Brain: J. Neurol. 2019; 142: 3565-3579
- The synuclein family.Genome Res. 1998; 8: 871-880
- Best practices for generating and using alpha-synuclein pre-formed fibrils to model Parkinson's disease in rodents.J. Parkinsons Dis. 2018; 8: 303-322
- Detecting outliers: do not use standard deviation around the mean, use absolute deviation around the median.J. Exp. Soc. Psychol. 2013; 49: 764-766
- The effect of fragmented pathogenic alpha-synuclein seeds on prion-like propagation.J. Biol. Chem. 2016; 291: 18675-18688
- Identification of a highly neurotoxic alpha-synuclein species inducing mitochondrial damage and mitophagy in Parkinson's disease.in: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 115. 2018: E2634-E2643
- Dopamine-induced conformational changes in alpha-synuclein.PloS one. 2009; 4e6906
- Structural and functional characterization of two alpha-synuclein strains.Nat. Commun. 2013; 4: 2575
- Cellular milieu imparts distinct pathological alpha-synuclein strains in alpha-synucleinopathies.Nature. 2018; 557: 558-563
- Caspase-1 causes truncation and aggregation of the Parkinson's disease-associated protein alpha-synuclein.in: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 113. 2016: 9587-9592